Whether we like it or not, copywriting will never be the same.
Not after Open AI released GPT-3, and more recently Chat GPT.
Writers across the globe have been able to leverage artificial intelligence to save time, prevent writer’s block, generate more ideas, and write better copy.
One particular tool in this list even generated the name of a startup I sold.
Although, not all AI copywriting software is created equally. And it’s important to recognize this. You need to know how you plan on using the tools so you can select the one that best meets your needs. Otherwise, you won’t be impressed with the results or the cost.
In this article, I’m going to review the best AI copywriting software based on my experience with them, reviews, use cases, and pricing.
What is AI copywriting software?
AI copywriting software and tools use artificial intelligence and machine learning to generate content for you. The machine learning algorithms are trained with hundreds of thousands of examples to get a “feel” for what good copywriting is. You simply input a prompt and the tools will output a result in seconds.
You can use AI copywriting tools for ads, email marketing campaigns, long-form copy, websites, blog posts, and much more. Here’s an example of Copy AI explaining what an AI copywriting tool is.
9 AI copywriting software and tools to keep your copy sharp in 2023
Jasper is one of the most popular copywriting tools on the market. Its growing product suite makes it suitable for almost any writer. With over 10 different G2 awards, you’re guaranteed to get value from the platform.
There are two core features I think separate this from other software. The first is that it has a chrome extension, which allows huge flexibility. The second is the integration with Surfer SEO. This makes it extremely easy for content marketers to produce optimized articles in record time.
- As of 2023, you can tailor the AI output for your brand voice.
- Ability to write long-form content like reports, emails, stories, and blogs.
- Over 29 languages.
- Ability to collaborate with team members.
|Superior Google Chrome extension||Not the best UI/UX when compared to other software|
|Surfer SEO integration||Requires a lot of time to learn all the features|
|Comprehensive blog outline tool||Need to pay for the most expensive tier to get access to the plagiarism checker|
|Can write long-form blog posts||Expensive if you use it at scale|
- Pricing plans are tiered based on words/mo, the cheapest plan is $59/mo.
- $59/mo for 50k words, 50+ AI templates, and a Google Docs-style editor.
- $99/mo for 100K words, 50+ AI templates and a Google Docs-style editor
- Business plans are custom but start at $499/mo.
- All plans are 17% cheaper on an annual subscription.
💡Pro tip: If you want to integrate Jasper into your daily workflow, install the Chrome extension. You’ll be able to fire up emails, Twitter posts, and much more in a matter of seconds.
2. Copy AI
Copy AI was one of the first copywriting tools to enter the market. They have over five million users, a huge deal for a tool like this. The more input they receive the “smarter” the software becomes through its machine learning systems.
- Superior blogging outline tool.
- Templates are based on HR, Business, Sales, Marketing, and Personal categories.
- A suite of tools specifically designed for email marketers.
- Copy AI run weekly demos to ensure you have the most success with their software.
|Very easy to use||No integrations with SEO tools|
|The blog outline tool is the most superior on the market||No content grading tool|
|Fairly priced considering it is one of the superior tools on the market|
- Free up to 2,000 words per month.
- Pro plans start at $49/mo for unlimited words, 5 user seats, and access to the latest features.
- Enterprise plans are tailored to the needs of the business.
- All plans are cheaper if paid yearly.
💡Pro tip: If you’re a copywriter or blog writer then Copy AI is for you. The best feature is the blogging outline tool. I’ve used this many times over to create outlines, and then flesh out a whole blog post in a quarter of the time it would take without the help. Copy AI also generated the name of a start-up I co-founded in 2020 called Ticker Nerd. In 2021 it was acquired by a FinTech company. So for this reason I have to say I love Copy AI.
Writesonic is another all-encompassing AI tool. The software boasts 80 different specific writing tools, including product descriptions, Facebook ads, Quora answers, YouTube titles, and much more. They claim to be the only AI software that helps you write SEO-optimized long-form content in 15 seconds.
- Text and paragraph expander.
- 1 click article summarizer.
- Ability to write high-converting landing pages.
- Tools specifically for e-commerce businesses.
- Writesonic training academy is designed to help you generate better copy.
|Very quick output||Not clear how effective the plagiarism checker is|
|Offers a suite of free tools such as a blog idea generator or art generator||Some users reported the output isn’t relevant to the input. AI needs more training.|
|Pricing is based on the “quality” of words|
Writesonic is best suited to two types of users. The first is an ad copywriter who wants to quickly write high-performing copy. The other is an email marketer who needs to write cold emails, email sequences, and subject lines really quickly.
- Pricing is unorthodox with Writesonic. You need to first select the quality of words. You can choose premium, good, average, and economy. This doesn’t particularly make sense to me since everyone using the tool is going to want the highest quality output.
- Free trials are available for a specific word limit depending on word quality.
- 75k worth of Premium words is $49/mo.
- 47k worth of Good words is $19/mo.
- The cheapest plan regardless of word quality and count is $19/mo.
- All plans are 33% cheaper on an annual subscription.
💡Pro tip: Use Writesonic to generate AI-based art, including unique vectors and graphics.
Anyword is an AI copywriting tool that optimizes your copy for higher conversions. The tool has been trained to score your writing and provide recommendations to boost conversions. This is one of the few copywriting tools on the market that actually helps you generate an ROI, not just save you time. Anyword has almost perfect reviews on G2, Trust Pilot, and Capterra.
- API is available.
- Predictive performance scores to improve your chances of success.
- You can create customer personas and the AI output will match the audience it’s writing for.
- One of the few tools that crafts text messages.
- Custom mode allows you to train the AI writing assistant based on your own brand voice, competitors, or your best-performing ad copy.
|Can tailor the AI assistant to write in your brand voice||To get access to the best features you need a business plan which requires negotiating a price|
|Helps you achieve more conversions|
- The Starter Plan costs $29/mo for 20k words and limited features.
- The Data-Driven Plan costs $99/mo for 30k words and all the features.
- Pricing is tiered based on word count so you can increase the word limit to your requirements.
- Annual plans come with 2 months of free usage.
💡Pro tip: To get the most value from Anyword, curate a list of the highest-performing content. Use the ‘Custom Mode’ training feature to train the AI model on your company's brand voice. You can do the same for competitors, famous copywriters, and even popular ads.
Hypotenuse is another AI writing assistant to help you produce content faster, and at scale. The product suite is split between SEO & eCommerce, paid and social media, and writing and brainstorming. This particular tool is best suited for eCommerce businesses. Companies such as Virgin Media, Living Spaces, and Traffic Bees leverage Hypotenuse.
- The batch generation feature allows you to create thousands of pieces of content instantly.
- Powerful API & Shopify integration.
- AI art image generator.
|Comes with 200 AI watermark-free images in the starter plan||Plagiarism checks are not included in the starter plan, you need to upgrade to growth for access|
|Integration with Shopify||Only eCommerce businesses and eCommerce copywriters will benefit the most|
|Bulk product description upload feature|
- The starter plan costs $29/mo for 25,000 words and 200 watermark-free AI images.
- The growth plan costs $59/mo for 87,500 words, unlimited watermark-free AI images, and access to the plagiarism checker.
- Enterprise plans are customized to the business's requirements.
- All plans are cheaper on an annual subscription.
💡Pro tip: Since there is direct integration with Shopify, eCommerce businesses can leverage this to create product descriptions ultra quickly.
6. Copy Smith
Copy Smith is slightly different from the other AI software on this list. Its main point of differentiation is the ability to achieve scale for B2B businesses. Copy Smith is built for enterprise teams and agencies that want to deliver a lot of content in different tones. It’s also suitable for eCommerce businesses since it solves bulk product description uploads.
- Bulk product description tool.
- Ability to generate content at scale in different tones.
- Ability to rewrite content that isn’t ranking in the SERPs.
- Chrome extension integrates nicely with your workflow to save time.
|eCommerce chrome extension||Need to negotiate pricing for more than 215k words per month|
|API available||The bulk import and export feature is only available in the enterprise plan|
|The starter plan comes with 20 plagiarism checks|
It has all the necessary integrations to build a well-oiled workflow. This includes Zapier, Google Sheets, Hootsuite, WooCommerce, and Frase. If this isn’t enough you can make use of the API in the enterprise plan.
- The starter plan costs $19/mo for 20k words and 20 plagiarism checks.
- The professional plan costs $59/mo for 80k words and 100 plagiarism checks.
- The startup plan costs $299/mo for 100k words, unlimited plagiarism checks and access to the bulk import/export feature, priority support, and custom development.
- Annual billing comes with two months free.
💡Pro tip: For blog posts that aren’t ranking in the top 10 results you can leverage the content enhancer to tweak and improve the article.
Bertha is an AI copywriting tool that sits in your WordPress blog post editor. There are two core features that make this product stand out to me. Firstly the in-editor blog writing assistant is very helpful, especially if you need to re-write or improve existing content. The other feature is called “Bertha Art”, this allows you to create AI-generated images on the fly. Without this, you would need to use something like Unsplash or Canva which can be time-consuming.
- AI art generator saves bloggers/content writers time and creates unique images.
- Integrates with popular tools like Elementor, Divi, Gutenberg, and WooCommere.
- All plans come with unlimited user seats.
|Its AI writing assistant has been trained on “hundreds of billions” of lines of content||Can only use this if you have WordPress|
|Free plan available|
|Money back guarantee|
- The Pro Plan is $45/mo for 3 websites, 100k words, and 63 images.
- The Pro Unlimited Plan is $150/mo for unlimited sites, 750k words, and 125 images.
- There is a “pay as you go” model for users who want to try before committing.
- Annual plans come with two months free.
💡Pro tip: You can leverage Bertha to beef out thin content within the pages. For example, you could feed an “about page” a small description and Bertha will write something engaging you can use to make the page more engaging.
Thunder Content focuses purely on blog article writing. Its product suite is specifically curated to help you write and edit the very best articles in a lighting fast time. The output seems fairly similar to other tools on this list, however, the interface makes it a much smoother experience for bloggers since it’s created specifically for them.
- ChatGPT-like interface is specific for content creation.
- Available in 140+ languages.
- 100% unique content guarantee (plagiarism checker built-in).
- Ability to export articles in multiple formats.
- AI audio tools.
|Ability to manage the level of creativity the AI assistant outputs||They compare their ai software to hiring an agency which is ridiculous|
|A small product suite makes the learning curve smaller|
|Easy to use interface makes it great for teaching your freelance writers|
- The cheapest plan starts at $5/mo for AI audio-only.
- $12/mo for all the tools including 10k words and 1hr of audio generation.
- $24/mo for all the tools including 50k words and 5hrs of audio generation.
- $87/mo for all the tools including unlimited words, audio, and early access to Thunder Chat.
- Annual plans are discounted.
💡Pro tip: If you're a blogger or content marketer, Thunder is your best option. It guarantees 100% unique content, exports content into multiple formats, and even has a similar feature to ChatGPT which should speed up your workflow.
Nichesss is an AI copywriting tool built by Malcolm Tyson. What’s impressive about Nichesss is that it doesn’t have a huge team, budget, or fancy website. Yet it still competes with some of the larger tools on this list. It started off as a business idea generator but now offers more than 150 different AI tools. Nichesss is great for ideas but isn’t reliable for creating any production-worthy content. I’ve used most of the features in Nichesss, although some of them feel like a gimmick. The reason I’ve included it on this list is that the cheap lifetime price makes it too good not to try.
- There’s a notepad feature for you to save ideas.
- Over 150 different tools for you to choose from.
- A large variety of templates and commands to use as a starting point.
|The cheapest tool on the market||Lots of tools but none of them are amazing|
|You can “create” your own tool if one doesn’t exist||Requires more human input to produce high-quality content|
- You can secure lifetime access for $59 which gives you unlimited credits and usage.
- 30-day 100% money-back guarantee if you don’t like it.
💡Pro tip: Use Nichesss as your idea pad. Since you’ll have unlimited credits and usage, you can do a lot of the heavy lifting using this tool. Whilst the output won’t be as good as tools such as Jasper, it will still give you great ideas without burning through credits.
Why should you use AI copywriting software?
Whether you love them, hate them, or are just discovering them, AI copywriting tools have their place. They aren’t going to replace the creativity and life experiences a human brings to the table but they will help in many other ways. Namely,
- Getting rid of writer's block
- Increasing conversion rates
- Helping you write blogs posts in record time
- Generating new ideas you probably haven’t considered
- Guiding your freelance writers to produce better content
Below is a video breaking down some of the best use cases to improve productivity and the quality of your work.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Will I get penalized for plagiarism using AI copywriting software?
This really depends on how you use the tools. If you plan on sending the raw output of these tools to your live site without a plagiarism check then you run the risk of being penalized. All copywriting tools should be used as a guide, they require human input to ensure context, relevance, and tone are correct. Original content is very important if you're using these tools to produce blog posts. Google looks for expertise, authority, and trust (EAT), so you can not rely on the help of AI to produce this for you.
Which AI copywriting software is best for a copywriter?
The best tool on this list for copywriters is Anyword since it helps optimize your copy for the best conversions.
Which AI copywriting software is best for a blogger?
This depends on all the additional features you require and the tech stack you currently use. For instance, if your content management system (CMS) is built on WordPress then Bertha would be the perfect option. If you don’t use WordPress then you could leverage Jasper, Copy Ai, or even Thunder Content.
Regardless of the output, some of the tools will be easier to use. It’s best to try all of them first to know which one you prefer.
Are the free trials useful?
In my experience, the free options are only useful for determining whether or not you like the output and the UI/UX. You can unlikely leverage the free options to add any real value to your marketing efforts.
Which AI tool produces the most accurate and sophisticated output?
This is very hard to know since we don’t have access to the code base and can not guarantee how much training the models received. I would suggest sticking with a tool that has the most users. The more users a tool has, the more likely it will fix bugs, improve the product, and further train its algorithms.
Copy AI vs Jasper
This is a common question. I strongly suggest trying both tools through the trial before making a decision. I personally preferred Copy AI since the user interface is more intuitive. Jasper is equally as good, however, if I was to choose between both I would choose Copy Ai. It is even though it is slightly more expensive.
Copywriting tools are a game-changer for writers who need fresh ideas, want to save time, and produce higher-quality work. However, not all tools will match your use case. You need to first determine how you will use the tools and integrate them with your workflow.
For copywriters and content writers, I highly suggest Copy AI or Jasper. If you’re looking for an enterprise solution then Copy Smith is best for the job. For those who use WordPress, I would suggest Bertha.
Regardless of the decision you make be sure to check the output for plagiarism, context, and readability.