If you’re looking for journaling prompts specifically for men you’ve come to the right place.
By now you probably recognize that journaling has some impressive health benefits.
From improved sleep to lower levels of anxiety. The list is endless.
Although, it’s easy to get stuck.
Should you free journal?
Should you follow a set structure?
Which prompts should you be answering?
I’ve asked myself the same questions.
So in this article, I’ll review the best journaling prompts for men. Particularly ones backed by science that will positively impact your life if you stick with it. I’ll also reference some great journals specifically designed to improve a man’s life.
What are journaling prompts?
First, we need to clear up what a journaling prompt is.
A journal prompt is a question, statement, or idea to give your writing some direction.
Guidance is a great way to keep the habit strong, prevent writer’s block, and journal about something meaningful. Some physical journals such as the 5-minute journal or Mind Journal are full of helpful prompts to get you writing.
Which journaling prompts are most effective?
There aren’t enough studies to identify which specific prompts are best. However, it’s clear that the expressive type of journaling positively impacts mental health symptoms. A 2008 study showed that just 15 minutes a day three times a week for twelve weeks can help ease anxiety and boost resilience.
This essentially means that you need to be expressing yourself three times a week for at least a couple of months if you want to notice a difference.
31 journaling prompts you can use right now
Below you’ll find the list of journaling prompts. Of course, anyone can answer these but for the most part, they’re particularly relevant to men. You can write these on paper or create a separate google doc to keep track (this is what I do now).
Prompts about the present
- How are you feeling today?
- List three things you’re grateful for.
- What would make today great?
- What are your intentions for today?
- What will you do differently today?
- List three people in your life that you’re grateful for.
- What do you feel your role is as a man?
- Who in your life do you feel like you can trust and why?
- Any thoughts you want to get out today?
- How would you describe yourself to your younger self?
- Which quotes do you resonate with most and why?
- Who do you admire most in your life and why?
- How do you want to be described by other men?
- Which men in your life do you respect and why?
- What keeps you up at night? How can you best deal with this issue?
- List one uniquely great thing about yourself.
- How can you better support your family and loved ones?
- Who in your life depends on you to show up? Why?
- Are you currently putting in the work to achieve your goals? Why/why not?
Prompts about the past
- What is your legacy so far?
- Describe a place where you felt joy.
- Describe a place where you felt at peace.
- What could you have done better yesterday?
- Which habits have held you back in the past?
- What is something you feel guilty about and why?
- Which achievements are you most proud of in your life?
Prompts about the future
- Who do you want to become?
- Write down three core goals in your life.
- Who would you like to become your mentor and why?
- How do you want your kids to describe you when you’re older?
- What would it be if you could have anything you wanted right now? How can you make this become your reality?
My favorite journals with prompts designed for men
There are plenty of prompts above to keep you busy. However, sometimes it’s easiest just to follow a set plan. I find that if I have clear guidance it’s easier for me to keep the habit. So below are two journals with prompts suited for men.
Mind Journal is the best journal I’ve ever used. As a man, I can say that it’s made a positive impact on my life. Every page and question is highly specific to men. The exercises are well thought out and do a great job of guiding men
Since launching in 2016, MindJournal has become a global movement to help guys feel happier and healthier. – Mind Journal
Get 10% off Mind Journal here.
Thinkers Smart Notebook
The Thinkers Smart Notebook has a well-thought-out design. It’s a great option for men who capture their thoughts in many different ways and can appreciate the use of an app. The iPhone app separates it from other competitors.
Get 15% off a Thinkers Smart Notebook here.
Five Minute Journal
The five-minute journal is a gratitude-based journal. The prompts are the same each day which makes it easy and practical. It’s not that specific to men but I still found it to be highly effective.
[ Related Article: Best Journals For Men ]