Copywriting is getting loads of attention in 2022.
So you might be thinking about whether it’s the right side hustle for you.
The barrier to entry is low and every guru on the internet is selling the dream of a $10,000 writing gig.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
This applies to $10,000 writing gigs for a couple of hours of work.
Like any business, copywriting, even as a side hustle is going to require a lot of effort.
In this article, I’ll break down what it means to start copywriting as a side hustle, why it’s one of the best side hustles, and how you can get started today.
First, what exactly is copywriting?
Almost everything you read online has been written by a copywriter, even if the person writing it isn’t necessarily a copywriter by trade.
A copywriter can be tasked with writing any of the following:
- Blog posts
- Website copy
- Landing pages
- Ad copy
- Email campaigns
- Product descriptions
- And loads more.
As a side hustle, you’ll be writing copy for businesses to help them generate more sales. The specific type of copy you write depends on the type of business you work with.
The more profitable copywriting gigs are usually blog posts and email campaigns. You can land these gigs on a recurring basis which means more recurring income. They also benefit the businesses more since they’re directly related to attracting and closing more sales.
[ Related: How to start a copywriting business]
Why copywriting is so popular right now
After doing some research it seems that Andrew Tate’s “Hustlers University” is driving most of this. The Copywriting Campus inside Hustlers University teaches freelance copywriting to over 30,000 members.
Tate’s content has also gone viral on Tiktok. It’s the only explanation for the consistent and all-time high interest in copywriting as a side hustle.
Here are six reasons why copywriting is a great side hustle
1. You can make money quickly: Most people start a side hustle so they can earn money quickly. This is very possible with copywriting. If you learn the basics, build a portfolio, and outreach to your network you could land a client within a month.
2. The barrier to entry is low: Anyone can be a copywriter. This doesn’t mean everyone should be a copywriter. Or everyone will be a good copywriter. It simply means anyone can get started. You could start watching tutorials and practicing today. This is a double-edged sword though, you’ll also have much higher competition at the beginner level.
3. It’s a nomad-friendly side hustle: You don’t need to turn up to an office every day with copywriting. You can write from anywhere in the world and on your own schedule.
4. Almost every business needs a copywriter: Any business that exists on the internet needs a copywriter. Some businesses have more than others. This means you have an unlimited supply of potential clients. It’s much easier to find your preferred niche and still make it profitable.
5. The skills are transferable: To write effective copy you’ll need to understand business, persuasive writing, the editing process, outreach, and how to read data. All of these skills are transferable in some way. At the very least you’ll be more qualified for any new job you apply for.
6. Your efforts compound over time: Unlike some side hustles, with copywriting your efforts compound over time. Most copywriters have blogs, Twitter, or LinkedIn profiles where they post copywriting-related content. The more frequently you do this the more clients you’ll attract on auto-pilot.
The easiest way to start a copywriting side hustle in 2022
There are only three core actions you need to take to start copywriting. Learning to write copy, leveraging tools & resources, and landing clients are key to being a successful copywriter.
1. Learn to write copy
The first step is to actually learn how to write copy. Unless you outsource this (which I don’t suggest in the beginning) you’ll need to learn a bit about the craft. You might feel the urge to skip this step but research has proven those who believe in what they sell are more likely to close deals.
For all beginner copywriters, start with these four resources:
- Copywriting For Beginners – Everything You Need To Get Started Now
- 12 Copywriting Exercises That Will Turn You Into a Pro in 30 Days
- 11 Content Writing Tips For Beginners (with free resources)
- Gary Halbert: 7 Lessons From An Infamous Copywriting Legend
Pro tip: Building a swipe file and applying the correct copywriting formula will make this process much easier
2. Leverage the right tools & resources
The very nature of a side hustle is that you have limited time to work on it.
This means you need to make use of resources and tools that will do the heavy lifting for you.
Here are four tools & resources you should leverage:
- Copywriting community: r/copywriting
- Headline formulas
- Drip scripts for email marketing
- Copywriting newsletters
3. Find clients
Finding clients will be the most challenging part of this side hustle.
But it doesn’t have to be.
Here are the easiest ways to find copywriting clients:
Reach out to your network: This is the easiest way to win clients. You could score some work by simply reaching out to everyone you know with a business and offering them your services. It takes courage to do this but if you start with small projects and even some free work you’ll be able to get started pretty quickly.
Find writing gigs on copywriting job boards & marketplaces: If you’re desperate for work, you can easily start applying for open writing gigs. The competition is higher so you’ll need to spend time building some form of credibility. Sites like Pro Blogger Jobs, We Work Remotely, Marketer Hire, and Bark will have loads of opportunities for you to explore.
Write guest posts for relevant blogs: This is my favorite way to find clients. A guest post is a blog post you write for another website. Usually for free. Although, your author profile and contact details are visible on the post. The benefit of this is twofold. You can land clients on auto-pilot and you build your portfolio.
[ Related: How to find copywriting clients fast ]
Copywriting is a great side hustle for those looking to earn a remote income on the side. The learning curve isn’t too steep and your results are dependent on the effort you put in.
Copywriting is an attractive side hustle for six core reasons:
- You can make money quickly
- The barrier to entry is low
- It’s a nomad-friendly side hustle
- Almost every business needs a copywriter
- The skills are transferable
- Your efforts compound over time